I love this Ayurvedic recipe. In the fall we have so many apples on Salt Spring Island. I make this recipe throughout the winter. Importantly, you can use any kind of apple, but I like royal gala apples best. Furthermore, this is great for the pitta dosha. Moreover, it is packed with protein and it is vegan. Importantly, it uses cornerstone ingredients to a pitta diet – apples, maple syrup, coconut. Furthermore, it is great for dessert and delicious for breakfast. Finally, this is adapted from Oh She Glows.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
- 6 cups or gala apples
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of slow cook oats
- 1 cup thin sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup of ground almonds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven 375F, lightly grease an 11 x 11 baking dish
2. Next, peal and chop the apples. Combine all apple filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix until evenly coated.
3. Place all apple filling in a uniform layer on the baking dish.
4. In the same bowl, mix all of the topping ingredients.
5. Sprinkle the topping over the apple filling.
6. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Poke 6 wholes in the top of the foil to allow air to release. Bake for covered for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Finally, allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
Also, this Ayurvedic recipe can be used for breakfast too, and is great with yogurt for a sweet breakfast option. It is also an excellent dessert.
Ayurvedic Recipe Notes
Significantly, this is a good ayurvedic recipe for pitta. Pitta needs cooling and sweetness. The natural sweetness in this ayurvedic recipe comes from natural sources and maple syrups, which is great for pitta. Moreover, cinnamon has an immune system building affect. Finally, apples are considered a pitta super food. Apples offer natural sweetness and water, which help pitta stay calm and cool.